By Raghad Al Safi: ‘The beautiful layering of the sweet pink fruit and creamy white cheese make this watermelon & cheese salad almost too pretty to eat…almost. But don’t let appearances stop you. It would be such a shame to miss out on the equally delectable combination of sweet and salty, light and filling ingredients that make this caprese-style salad a favourite for many Iraqi on sweltering nights (including my mother, who counts it among her favourites.’ Do read our review of Raghad Al Safi’s cookbook The Iraqi Kitchen.
zalatat raggi wa jeben ~ Watermelon & Cheese Salad
- ½ small watermelon
- ¾ cup cubed halloumi or feta cheese
- 2–3 tbsp rose water
- fresh mint or basil, to taste
- Peel the watermelon and cut into even bite-sized rectangular pieces.
- Layer between two similarly sized cubes of cheese.
- Sprinkle with rose water and garnish with fresh mint or basil.
[The Iraqi Table is published by Motivate Publishing and is available in leading bookstores and at booksarabia.com. Motivate Publishing has shared this recipe and image with FoodeMag dxb website and e-magazine. We may have altered it to match the format in which our recipes appear in this website]