An exclusive recipe brought to you by Berryfect
Mustikkakeitto as it is called in Finnish, is a Scandinavian soup made from bilberries, which can be served both hot or cold. It is sweet in taste and contains starch, which gives it a fairly thick consistency. It is served both as a soup, often together with porridge, or as a drink. In Finland and Sweden, the blueberry soup is very popular and although energy rich, it is soothing and gentle on the stomach. Bilberries are often confused with the high bush blueberries that we commonly know, as the word bilberry translates into blueberry in many European languages. However bilberries (or forest blueberry) refer to those that grow naturally in Northern Finland, Norway, Sweden and some parts of Russia. More on bilberries in our Ingredient section.
Mustikkakeitto or Finnish Blueberry Soup
- 2 cups blueberry juice
- 2 tbsp potato starch mixed with 3 tbsp cool water
- 4 tbsp bilberry powder*
- 5 tbsp raw honey or agave syrup (or according to your liking)
- ½ cup bilberries or blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Bring the berry juice to boil in a pot or pan.
- Just when the berry juice bubbles a few times, add the potato starch mixture slowly to the berry juice.
- Stir well and continuously until the soup thickens. Do not boil further.
- Add fresh blueberries or thawed frozen blueberries into the hot soup and stir well.
- Add bilberry powder* and raw honey or agave syrup. Add more if you prefer sweeter.
Serve hot or cold over steaming hot porridge. Or may be turn this blueberry soup into a dessert by serving it with tiny dollops of whipped cream?
*The recipe uses Berryfect Bilberry powder.
Berryfect is a premium berry powder, made from bilberries grown under the Northern Lights and the midnight sun in wild forests in Finland. Berryfect powders are ground from whole juicy Bilberries. All the Bilberry’s nutritionally dense parts: juice, pulp, skin and seeds are used. Berryfect is brought to the region by Nordic Power General Trading. Follow their visual journey on Instagram and search for the hashtag #berryfectme for violet superfood inspiration.
This recipe has been provided exclusively for FoodeMag dxb readers. We have also tried Berryfect Bilbbery at FoodeMag dxb kitchen. Recipe image: Lavina Israni www.ezrani.com